UK Agriculture Minister and BSE, Mad Cow Disease, from 1990
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 24, 2008
Click here ► http://www.foodsafetypolicy.com to find out more. See ► food safety policy.com
Information from wikipedia
Member of Parliament
At the 1964 general election, John Selwyn Gummer stood as a candidate in the Greenwich constituency, but was heavily defeated by the incumbent Labour MP, Richard Marsh. He stood again some 18 months later at the 1966 general election and lost even more heavily.
He was finally elected to the House of Commons on his third attempt, at the 1970 general election, when he narrowly unseated the sitting MP James Dickens in the Lewisham West constituency. However, at the February 1974 general election he lost the seat to Labour's Christopher Price, and failed to regain it in the October 1974 election.
In 1979, he eventually returned to the House of Commons, securing the seat of Eye, following the retirement of veteran Tory Harwood Harrison. He held the constituency until its abolition for the 1983 general election. From then until 2010 he was the MP for one of its successor constituencies, Suffolk Coastal.
He is noted for delaying a ban on beef in 1989, and for the way he attempted to feed a hamburger to his four-year-old daughter Cordelia at the height of the BSE panic in 1990, though his daughter did not eat it as it was too "hot" and she was full.
It was announced that Gummer would be awarded a peerage in the 2010 Dissolution Honours List. He was created a life peer as Baron Deben, of Winston in the County of Suffolk on 21 June 2010, and he was introduced in the House of Lords the same day, supported by his brother, Lord Chadlington, and the composer Lord Lloyd-Webber.
Although there has never been a Lord Gummer,both he and his brother chose to take geographical titles instead of their surname.
Standard YouTube License
- 0:48 Disturbing Footage? Mad Cow Disease California April 24 2012 Possible Outbreak?by ThirdphaseofmoonFeatured 22,887
- 5:37 Part 1: Mad Cow Disease and Food Safety News Programmeby JusticeForAndy2008 27,235 views
- 5:29 Part 5: Mad Cow Disease and Food Safety News Programmeby JusticeForAndy2008 9,034 views
- 5:51 After 17 yearsby man duqrlaos 57,869 views
- 29:13 Mad Cow Disease and Food Safety News Programme (Full length)by BSE Documentary 3,862 views
- Bovine spongiform encephalopathy 4,094 videos2
- 3:17 Human 'Mad Cow Disease' (CJD) News Reportby BSE News Reports 24,721 views
- 36:37 What causes BSE, CJD & MS? Organic Farmer Mark Purdey on Organophosphates (2001)by The Public Enquiry channel - retro feel 2,551 views
- 6 videos Play all Chapter 12 Gene Functionby jsbarbee
- 9:34 Michael Greger Mad Cow Disease - 1by bdbFan's channel 5,547 views
- 0:46 US' fourth case of mad cow disease found in Californiaby NMANewsDirect 1,711 views
- 9:05 The BSE Prion and Variant CJDby bryanpgalligan 2,080 views
- 9:57 Theory on the origins of BSE (2005): United Kingdom videoby BSE News Reports 2,069 views
- 8:01 Rare Record Collecting in the UK - 1990by revoxy's channel 10,134 views
- 57:31 Mad Cow Disease: What You Need to Knowby vshvideo 5,472 views
- 23:19 Mad Cow Cover-up: Original U.S. "Mad Cow" wasn't a Downerby IndymediaPresents 14,530 views
- 2:27 Mad Cow Sacred Cow - Trailerby karmafilmonline 38,935 views
- 7:41 UK Storm - January 25 & 26, 1990by UK TV Nostalgia 24,712 views
- 9:56 Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathyby jrichardslawns 4,517 views
- 4:44 Meet the Super Cowby National Geographic 32,211,652 views
- 2:46 bovine spongiform encephalopathyby suwarth 2,884 views
- 5:25 What would improving UK food security mean for our hills?by Sustainable Uplands 725 views
- Loading more suggestions...