TOEFL iBT Speaking Practice Test
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 8, 2009
http://www.bettertoeflscores.com Get helpful, specific, and free tips to pass the TOEFL iBT. And tell all your friends!
See you at my TOEFL iBT Blog,
Idiomaticity of Language and the TOEFL iBT Speaking and Writing by Michael Buckhoff
In terms of language use, the human raters on TOEFL iBT speaking and writing will judge the Idiomaticity of your language use. But what does this mean? They will determine how natural sounding your speaking and writing is. In other words, would a native speaker express your idea the same way. One of the more difficult hurdles for advanced learners of a new language, idiomaticity of language requires that you avoid unnatural or odd-sounding words and phrases. For example, a native speaker of American English would never say, Merry New Year? Or, it would be quite odd to ask a native speaker of American English, How many years are you since birth?
Of course, being as natural sounding in your writing and speaking will help you to get a higher score on the TOEFL iBT. It will demonstrate to the human raters that you have had extensive experience using the English language and therefore understand the appropriate words and phrases that should be used in academic contexts.
Despite the importance of this, many of my advanced TOEFL students continue to use expressions like on the other foot instead of on the other hand.
Consider the following two sentences, one of which was written by an Advanced TOEFL student in my class:
Then usually students have two of three part time jobs needless to pay tax as much as extra work.
Then, some students may have two or three part-time jobs without having to pay taxes for this additional work.
Which sentence sounds more natural to you?
Why do advanced learners have trouble with idiomaticity of language? Most likely, it is because of the students lack of experience with speaking and writing the English language. These same advanced learners often depend heavily on translation dictionaries, further worsening their language use problems. Differences between expressions in languages can cause advanced learners to use odd or unnatural sounding expression.
So, what can you do about this? The answer is simple: immerse yourself in the English language so that you get exposure to natural sounding American English from television shows, movies, music, magazines, newspapers, and books. Get more familiar with http://www.eslcafe.com/idioms/ idioms and http://www.eslcafe.com/pv/ phrasal verbs and use them in speech and writing.
For more information, go here:
http://www.michaelbuckhoff.com/page10... (TOEFL iBT Vocabulary)
Standard YouTube License
- 9:44 TOEFL SPEAKING question 2 (9 samples)by ouliogroove Featured 209,748
- 8:52 TOEFL Speaking Tips for Tasks 3 and 5 (Campus-related)by The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT17,192 views
- 8:43 Score Higher Than 28/30 on TOEFL iBT Integrated Writing by Following Five Simple Stepsby The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT77,703 views
- 9:12 TOEFL iBT Listening and Speaking Tips: "Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, and Dave's ESL Cafe"by The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT75,705 views
- 6:05 How You Can Get a High TOEFL iBT Score: One of the Tips May Surprise You!by The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT109,404 views
- 11:28 TOEFL Speaking Practice Test 1 (1/2)by IAPennsylvania59,959 views
- 2:14:53 Grand Masti Full Movie 720p (2013) [English Subtitle]by BestHarlemShakesTV995,156 views
- 9:59 TOEFL iBT 800 Word Reading Passage: Learn How to Read It.by The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT129,319 views
- 6 videos Play all TOEFL iBTby IoPiccolaStellina
- 3:57 TOEFL iBT Vocabulary: Twenty-Two Must-Know Idiomsby The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT21,720 views
- 8:25 TOEFL iBT Vocabulary: Thirty Must-Know Idiomsby The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT19,903 views
- 5:10 How to Improve your Concentration during TOEFL iBT Speaking Tasksby The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT20,556 views
- 9:28 TOEFL iBT Listening Practice Testby The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT186,118 views
- 9:33 TOEFL Speaking Question 4 Helpby NoteFull TOEFL Mastery295,751 views
- 5:51 How to do well in a TOEFL ibt speaking test? Erin's Vlog Nov.29thby creamb27,339 views
- 10:09 TOEFL SPEAKING question 1 (9 samples)by ouliogroove456,384 views
- 10:52 TOEFL Speaking question 6 part 1 (4 samples)by ouliogroove430,618 views
- 4:49 TOEFL iBT Reading: Test-Taking Strategiesby The 7-Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT46,094 views
- 11:28 TOEFL Structure & Skills for iBT success!by RebeccaESL293,667 views
- 8:34 TOEFL SPEAKING question 4 (3 samples)by ouliogroove161,646 views