Fracking Hell: The Untold Story
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 11, 2011
Watch more Earth Focus at http://www.linktv.org/earthfocus
An original investigative report by Earth Focus and UK's Ecologist Film Unit looks at the risks of natural gas development in the Marcellus Shale. From toxic chemicals in drinking water to unregulated interstate dumping of potentially radioactive waste that experts fear can contaminate water supplies in major population centers including New York City, are the health consequences worth the economic gains?
Marcellus Shale contains enough natural gas to supply all US gas needs for 14 years. But as gas drilling takes place, using a process called hydraulic fracturing or "fracking," toxic chemicals and methane gas seep into drinking water. Now experts fear that unacceptable levels of radioactive Radium 226 in gas development waste.
Fracking chemicals are linked to bone, liver and breast cancers, gastrointestinal, circulatory, respiratory, developmental as well as brain and nervous system disorders. Such chemicals are present in frack waste and may find their way into drinking water and air.
Waste from Pennsylvania gas wells -- waste that may also contain unacceptable levels of radium -- is routinely dumped across state lines into landfills in New York, Ohio and West Virginia. New York does not require testing waste for radioactivity prior to dumping or treatment. So drill cuttings from Pennsylvania have been dumped in New York's Chemung and other counties and liquid waste is shipped to treatment plants in Auburn and Watertown New York. How radioactive is this waste? Experts are calling are for testing to find out.
New York State may have been the first state in the nation to put a temporary hold on fracking pending a safety review, but it allows other states to dump toxic frack waste within its boundaries.
With a gas production boom underway in the Marcellus Shale and plans for some 400,000 wells in the coming decades, the cumulative impact of dumping potential lethal waste without adequate oversight is a catastrophe waiting to happen. And now U.S. companies are exporting fracking to Europe.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:10 Stuff They Don't Want You to Know - Frackingby HowStuffWorks Featured 76,204
- 11:37 Chernobyl - The Real Storyby Link TV25,619 views
- 4:43 Genetically Modified Salmon - Coming Soon?by Link TV26,856 views
- 27:42 Toxic Environments: US and Chinaby Link TV7,889 views
- 28:15 Environmental Filmmaking: The Rising Starsby Link TV2,976 views
- 41:21 Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition76,034 views
- 14:08 WARNING! Watch this before you head to North Dakota to get rich!!by NDtransplant161,855 views
- 1:45:08 Dr. Ingraffea Facts on Frackingby Gas Drilling Awareness Coalition41,749 views
- 3:33 CNN Explains: Frackingby CNN107,618 views
- 1:03:37 The Intelligence Squared Debate Christopher Hitchens Fryby ChristopherHitchslap464,043 views
- 2:51 The reason I quit working in the ND oilfieldby lasvegascollapse154,085 views
- 35:35 WARNING Fracking An Inconvenient Truth Watch Learn about Fracking Shale Gas what they dont sayby Pete WDHCo12,468 views
- 4:28 3D Seismicby ge0physicsrocks143,595 views
- 1:34:32 GASLAND (subtitrare in romana) - DOCUMENTAR despre efectele grave ale exploatarii gazelor de sistby Cristian Moldovan25,853 views
- 13:21 Wolves In The Wildby John Muir143,834 views
- 14:28 FRACKNATION: The Truth About Frackingby LibertyPen13,342 views
- 7:18 Hydraulic Fracturing 3D Animationby Trial Exhibits, Inc.91,146 views
- 34:29 Truthland: Dispatches from the Real Gasland - Full Movie [HD]by TruthlandMovie108,754 views
- 8:30 Fracking Explained with Animationby A2L Consulting170,168 views
- 12:20 Chris Hedges: "We are witnessing the collapse of globalization"by Jonathan Barnes46,693 views