The View, Rejection of Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn. Deborah Feldman Book
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 14, 2012
Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of my Hasidic Roots. Book on Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn, UNORTHODOX by Deborah Feldman Tuesday, February 14, 11/10c On The View.
Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of my Hasidic Roots
A memoir by Deborah Feldman
On sale February 14, 2012 from Simon and Schuster
In this arresting memoir about growing up in—and ultimately escaping from—a strict Hasidic community, Deborah Feldman reveals what life is like trapped within a religious sect that values silence and suffering over individual freedoms.
The Satmar sect of Hasidic Judaism is as mysterious as it is intriguing to outsiders. Unorthodox sheds new light on this subculture through one woman's harrowing tale of repression and self-discovery.
Raised in the cloistered world of Brooklyn's Satmar Hasidim, Deborah Feldman struggled as a naturally curious child to make sense of and obey the rigid strictures that governed her daily life. From what she could read to whom she could speak with, virtually every aspect of her identity was tightly controlled.
غير تقليدي: رفض بفضيحة من جذوري صوفية. كتاب عن اليهود صوفية في بروكلين، غير تقليدية من قبل فيلدمان ديبورا الثلاثاء 14 فبراير، 11/10c على طريقة العرض.
Married at age seventeen to a man she had only met for thirty minutes, and denied a traditional education—sexual or otherwise—she was unable to consummate the relationship for an entire year. Her resultant debilitating anxiety went undiagnosed and was exacerbated by the public shame of having failed to serve her husband. In exceptional prose, Feldman recalls how stolen moments reading about the empowered literary characters of Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott helped her to see an alternative way of life—one she knew she had to seize when, at the age of nineteen, she gave birth to a son and realized that more than just her own future was at stake.
Unorthodox is a captivating odyssey through adversity and a groundbreaking look into Orthodox Jewish culture.
,Oprah's segment on Chassidim,
The View | Hot Topics,
Goodreads author profile
Biographies & Memoirs
Deborah Feldman was born and raised in the Hasidic community of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, New York. Her memoir, UNORTHODOX: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots, is being published by Simon and Schuster on February 14, 2012. ספרים יהודיים, גברים יהודים, נשים יהודיות, לא שגרתי: דחייה השערורייתי של שורשים חסידיים שלי.ספר על יהודים חסידיים בברוקלין, לא שגרתי על ידי דבורה פלדמן, התרבות היהודית. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Hasidic Judaism,Hasidic Judaism in brooklyn,jewish school,jewish life,jewish girls,jewish teens,jewish teen,jewish news,anti semitic,chassidish jews, chassidish women,sexist,chassidish jews,
Actors Courteney Cox and Josh Hopkins; actress Roma Downey.
UNORTHODOX by Deborah Feldman
by Rebecca Joines Schinsky
Published February 14, 2012 by Simon and Schuster
Few things make me happy like a memoir by a woman who busted out of oppressive circumstances and left everything she knew behind in order to build a new life for herself. In Deborah Feldman's case, the oppressive circumstances came courtesy of the Hasidic Jewish community in which she was brought up in Brooklyn's Williamsburg neighborhood. Taught that a woman's place is in the home and removed from school after eleventh grade--after all, education only makes women feisty and disobedient--Feldman entered into an arranged marriage at the age of 17.
A lifelong rebel, Feldman hoped the marriage would be an escape from her stifling household. She dreamed of being able to keep her books, usually secreted home from the library and hidden behind her dresser, out in the open, and imagined her husband recognizing her intellect and agreeing to let her take college-level courses and pursue some kind of career outside the home. Alas, that was far from what she got, and after several years of humiliation--she and her husband knew next to nothing about sex going into their marriage, and by the time they succeeded in consummating it, nearly everyone in their immediate circle of family and friends knew intimate and embarrassing details--she decided she was finished. Inspired by the strong women in her favorite books and the feminist theory she learned in classes she was taking on the sly, Feldman took her son and left.Deborah Feldman. http://www.thebookladysblog.com/2012/... deborah feldman on the view
Standard YouTube License
- 42:45 The Oprah Show HD - Clayton Moss, a boy who was chained up and tortured by his own familyby ManiacEntity1,160,924 views
- The View on ABC 1,078 videos21K
- 8:41 Former Hasidic Jews reveal hidden world.by Duudeabides251,199 views
- 1:55:07 The Jewish Americans (1 & 2): They Came to Stay & A World of Their Ownby Ivan Boryagin10,420 views
- 15:15 Haredi: The Ultra orthodox society in Israel 1/5by pegelatrin100,130 views
- 7:30 Michelle Malkin OWNS The View, Puts Ignorant Fool Joy Behar in Her Placeby dlwke2305,352 views
- 4:52 Hasidic Tensions in Williamsburgby DeZelle1222,444 views
- 7:55 Sarah Silverman (The View)by ourmarvellousworld279,910 views
- 2:24 SHOCKING!! Orthodox rabbi tortured Jewish childrenby chonitin44,175 views
- 4:18 Jackie Mason - Jew at the Restorant.mp4by Ora Nissim142,238 views
- 2:38 Moshe Kasher On Growing Up Hasidic - CONAN on TBSby Team Coco91,439 views
- 1:35:05 The Jewish Orthodox Community of New Yorkby BLUMENFELD Musik45,094 views
- 6:35 On The View, Goldberg calls Beck "lying sack of dog mess"by mediamatters4america748,945 views
- 8:30 The View : Foley and The Iraq Warby Greg Henschel69,623 views
- 4:08 The View: Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Melissa Ethridge Argue Over Gay Marriageby RandomClips2008646,898 views
- 8:41 Former Hasidic Jews Reveal Hidden Worldby ifrum112,316 views
- 1:00 Chasidic Women on Dr. Philby Algemeiner86,669 views
- 8:01 Megyn Kelly on the Viewby mkrocksify139,174 views
- 6:23 Comedians Dean Obeidallah and Tissa Hami on ABC's "The View"by Lococomedy165,202 views