John F. Kennedy Moon Speech (1962)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 16, 2009
John F. Kennedy Moon Speech - Rice Stadium
William Bradford, speaking in 1630 of the founding of the Plymouth Bay Colony, said that all great and honorable actions are accompanied with great difficulties, and both must be enterprised and overcome with answerable courage.
If this capsule history of our progress teaches us anything, it is that man, in his quest for knowledge and progress, is determined and cannot be deterred. The exploration of space will go ahead, whether we join in it or not, and it is one of the great adventures of all time, and no nation which expects to be the leader of other nations can expect to stay behind in the race for space.
Those who came before us made certain that this country rode the first waves of the industrial revolutions, the first waves of modern invention, and the first wave of nuclear power, and this generation does not intend to founder in the backwash of the coming age of space. We mean to be a part of it--we mean to lead it. For the eyes of the world now look into space, to the moon and to the planets beyond, and we have vowed that we shall not see it governed by a hostile flag of conquest, but by a banner of freedom and peace. We have vowed that we shall not see space filled with weapons of mass destruction, but with instruments of knowledge and understanding.
Yet the vows of this Nation can only be fulfilled if we in this Nation are first, and, therefore, we intend to be first. In short, our leadership in science and in industry, our hopes for peace and security, our obligations to ourselves as well as others, all require us to make this effort, to solve these mysteries, to solve them for the good of all men, and to become the world's leading space-faring nation.
We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people. For space science, like nuclear science and all technology, has no conscience of its own. Whether it will become a force for good or ill depends on man, and only if the United States occupies a position of pre-eminence can we help decide whether this new ocean will be a sea of peace or a new terrifying theater of war. I do not say the we should or will go unprotected against the hostile misuse of space any more than we go unprotected against the hostile use of land or sea, but I do say that space can be explored and mastered without feeding the fires of war, without repeating the mistakes that man has made in extending his writ around this globe of ours.
There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
It is for these reasons that I regard the decision last year to shift our efforts in space from low to high gear as among the most important decisions that will be made during my incumbency in the office of the Presidency.
Standard YouTube License
Next in NASA
- 29:22 Apollo 16 - Nothing so hidden... (1972) HDby AIRBOYDFeatured 25,179
- 0:49 Airborne Laser Knocks Down Test Missile YAL-1: 11 Feb 2010by AIRBOYD 417,804 views
- 26:06 The Cape (1963)by AIRBOYD 9,099 views
- 28:30 Time Of Apollo (1975)by AIRBOYD 12,616 views
- 19:44 JFK Secret Societies Speech (full version)by MrMnmn911 19,554 views
- 18:42 JFK'S "CUBAN MISSILE CRISIS" SPEECH (10/22/62)(COMPLETE AND UNCUT)by David Von Pein's JFK Channel 82,058 views
- 9:51 Imagine What Fox News Would Sayby IAMtheNewWorldOrder 107,148 views
- 10:59 Amazing JFK Speech! He Tells you The Truth!by CIRCULATEYOURFREEDOM 214,153 views
- 37 videos Play all Discursos revolucionariosby 59Revolucion
- 9:43 Reagan and RFK (1967)by Mike Gardner 454,454 views
- 5:28 The speech that got JFK killedby BadBoyTroy69 231,248 views
- 2:19:38 Thirteen Daysby truesemite 635,819 views
- 1:46 El discurso que hizo que mataran a JFKby Alejandro Pascual 3,466,669 views
- 58:35 Kennedy-Nixon First Presidential Debate, 1960by JFK Library 855,049 views
- 9:27 First Moon Landing 1969 (unseen footage in HD)by RuMpLe StilTsKiN 164,901 views
- 9:53 Landing on the Moon :July 20, 1969by momo2007x 917,103 views
- 4:16 Mythbusters Moon Landing photo hoax 1by Dolfan0925 1,370,537 views
- 10:31 Beyond Conspiracy - Kennedy assassinationby David Emerling 1,555,340 views
- 9:35 *Inspirational* JFK, Martin Luther King & Ron Paul Speechesby NwoKillers 31,120 views
- 5:09 Funniest Leadership Speech ever!by SpecificDusty 852,713 views
- 3:38 The Greatest Speech Ever Madeby thelakeysisters 11,912,510 views
- Loading more suggestions...