UNM Students being attacked at an Israel Alliance event on campus
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 23, 2012
UNM STUDENTS ASSUALTED AT PUBLIC EVENT ON CAMPUS
On February 23rd during a public lecture by Nonie Darwish, members of the audience assaulted a number of UNM students. The public lecture, which began at 7PM in the Anthropology lecture hall, was attend by some UNM students who exercised their right to freedom of speech by vocally protesting the against the opinions put forward by Darwish. When the students raised their voices a number of audience members proceeded to get out of their seats and use force against the students. One of the students was hit in the face, another had her hair pulled, and many were pushed and shoved. One of the students caught much of these events on film before another audience member forcibly pushed down her camera. The students were then forced out of the auditorium and quickly called the UNM police who arrived and filed a report.
These students were assaulted on UNM campus for simply trying to make their voices heard and it is a shock that a non-violent action was met with such aggression.
STATEMENT FROM UNM STUDENTS FOR JUSTICE IN PALESTINE: SJP expresses gratitude to groups across the nation and the world who have shown their support for UNM Students for Justice in Palestine(SJP) and the students and members of (Un)Occupy Albuquerque who were brave enough to actively reject the normalization of Islamophobia and human rights violations.
Though SJP was not a part of the planning process, we fully support the Mic-Check of Nonie Darwish's lecture, "Why the Arab Spring is failing and how Israel is involved." Students and members of (Un)Occupy spoke up in solidarity with Palestine and against Islamophobic propaganda. We are appalled and disturbed by the physical assault by audience members on the peaceful activists. These actions are reflective of a growing trend of physical violence by people who deny Israeli's illegal occupation of Palestinian land.
Despite the discouraging nature of a violent response to a non-violent demonstration, we will use this incident to shine a light on the persistent appropriation of Palestinian land and resources. SJP sincerely hopes that violent reactions like these will not be replicated during Israeli Apartheid Week or in any future actions in solidarity with the Palestinian people.
Again, we are grateful for the overwhelming national and international shows of support and enduring commitment to non-violent action.
With Love & Solidarity,
UNM Students for Justice in Palestine
STATEMENT FROM (Un)Occupy Albuquerque: Three people, including UNM students, were attacked by pro-Israeli members on Wednesday night for mic-checking Nonie Darwish, a self-proclaimed human rights activist who was on UNM campus to deliver a talk on the Arab Springs.
Darwish cast the Arab Spring in a bad light. She argued that democratic revolutions in the Middle East and North Africa, such as those in Egypt and Tunisia, would not succeed as long as Islamists controlled them.
A group of people, who were acting in solidarity with the Palestinian people, questioned Darwish's fear-mongering and her unqualified support for Israel. They were shouted down by pro-Israel members in the audience, who assaulted a woman, pulled her hair, and forcibly pushed another person over a row of seats. A third person was punched in the face. Pro-Israel members also destroyed a phone that was used to record the assault.
The protestors, some of whom are UNM students and affiliated with the (Un)Occupy Albuquerque movement, used "mic-checking" as a nonviolent tactic to voice their concern against the Islamophobic content of Darwish's talk. However, they were met with outright violence by members of the audience, who did not want to hear what the protestors had to say. Rather than simply wait for the protestors to deliver their message and leave, as has been the case at similar actions in other parts of the country, the pro-Israel audience members physically forced the protestors out of the auditorium.
It is interesting that the audience members who assaulted the protestors were acting in support of Israel, which claims to be the "most-democratic state" in the Middle East. Freedom of speech is an important part of being democratic, and it is a tragedy that the pro-Israel members did not want to hear what the protestors had to say.
PROTESTER ANGLE VIDEO OF ATTACK ON UNM STUDENTS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6CCM...
Standard YouTube License
- 2:27 محاضرة للدكتور ابراهيم الفقي قبل وفاته بيوم مؤثر جداby Ahmed ShoeibFeatured 643,175
- 12:59 The MOST Important Video About Israel You'll Ever See!by thelandofisrael 820,100 views
- 3:03 Occupy Oakland January 28, 2012 - Police Brutalityby Brett Nichols 147,049 views
- 5:38 The REAL Reason Israel Attacked Syriaby StormCloudsGathering 103,853 views
- 11:50 'If Israel bombs Iran, Arab states will support Tehran'by RussiaToday 139,122 views
- 5:53 Fox News Reporter Attacked by Husband and Wifeby manorin 2,704,831 views
- 5:32 [Orignal full version] 1 Marine vs. 30 Cops (By. J. handy)by BklynJHandy 9,089,967 views
- 2:50 PROTESTERS ANGLE: UNM Students being attacked at Israel Alliance eventby Danya Mustafa 11,701 views
- 10:24 Pat Buchanan: 300 nukes in Israel yet Iran a threat?by RussiaToday 143,940 views
- 25:14 Inside Story Americas - Is Israel fuelling fear not facts over Iran?by AlJazeeraEnglish 11,022 views
- 1:02:47 Conférence de Guy Millière à Paris (8 dec 2011, FRANCE-ISRAËL Alliance Gal Kœnig)by sweillerYT 2,691 views
- 5:02 'Israel has no capability to attack Iran'by RussiaToday 89,002 views
- 10:09 War With Iran A Terrible Idea - Here's Whyby TheYoungTurks 723,660 views
- 5:15 Israel - a hi-tech superpowerby myisraelHE 61,607 views
- 7:19 Obama - The Anti-Israel Presidentby dhfcenter 446,821 views
- 1:32 Dana White: "Yes Floyd, You're Racist"by fueltv 1,040,475 views
- 6:33 U.S.-Israel Alliance - Dore Gold on Glenn Beck Showby The Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs 4,112 views
- 3:16 US warns Israel against attacking Iranby RTAmerica 20,266 views
- 7:26 Occupy KC - MIC CHECK! - Donald Rumsfeld - 2.24.12by OccupyKCtube 3,613 views
- 3:48 Invincible Me: Israel drums up for Iran strikeby RT 76,377 views
- Loading more suggestions...