2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Day 4 Highlights
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 19, 2012
MUSIC // Mother and Son 'Jonny Boy'
IBA 2012 Pipe Challenge
Event 1 of 8, Mens Grand Slam Series
Pipeline, Oahu, Hawaii
Feb 15-24th, 2012
Saturday, 18th February 2012, Ehukai Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii -In an attempt to retain her world title at the end of last year, she went for an air roll spin over dry rocks and injured herself so badly she had to be helped out the water and could not surf for a month. Now, fully recovered, Isabela Sousa, the 2010 world champion from Brazil, won the Women's 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge today, in fun three to four foot waves. "It's my first final here at Pipe and it's my first win here. It's pretty incredible. I'm so happy", said Sousa.
En route to the final the bubbly Brazilian won every heat. In her semi-final heat- already in the lead- she took off on a set wave, raced into the bowl at Pipe and landed a technical air roll spin. She won her semi-final by such a margin her opponents needed to replace both of their scoring waves.
In the final, Sousa defeated fellow Brazilians, Neymara Carvalho --the defending champion- and Karla Costa-Taylor- a three times Pipe champion- as well as Japan's Minami Hatakeyama, a finalist in last year's event too.
As the only non-Hawaiian in today's dropknee final, South African, Sacha Specker, was a clear underdog. He had been in a final twice before but never tasted victory, until today. He sat slightly wide of the Hawaiians and went about picking off waves that were running along the inside reef at Pipe. "It's an incredible feeling winning this event. It's a bit of a dream still. I think it'll kick in tomorrow, when we play the Aussies in cricket", said Specker.
The Hawaiians, Miles Kauhaahaa, Bud Miyamoto and Kainoa Mcgee, put on great performances in the rounds leading up to the final, weaving their ways through the tricky barrels at Backdoor and Pipe. Kauhaahaa rode the highest scoring wave of the event- a long barrel at Backdoor. Miyamoto had the highest scoring wave of the final-a long deep barrel at Pipe- punctuated with a cutback that threw buckets of spray over the back of the wave. He was unable to find a back up wave and came second to Specker by 3.91 points.
Edited: S&L, Edward Saltau
Water Images: Seamus Makim
Filmed: Todd Barnes, Andrew Kaineder, Javier Flietas, Will Hodgett
Titles: Murray Bell
Standard YouTube License
Next in 2012 IBA PIPELINE CHALLENGE
- 52:34 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Mens Finalby IBA World Tour89,591 views
- 30:11 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge DK Finalby IBA World Tour6,846 views
- 10:08 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Day 3 Highlightsby IBA World Tour68,001 views
- 33:10 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Men Semi Final 2by IBA World Tour3,459 views
- 8:00 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Day 2 Highlightsby IBA World Tour127,377 views
- 32:01 2012 IBA Pipeline Challenge Men Round 6 Heat 41by IBA World Tour1,924 views
- 31:37 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Men Quarter 2by IBA World Tour1,961 views
- 31:17 2012 IBA Pipeline Challenge Men Round 6 Heat 45by IBA World Tour3,688 views
- 29:52 2012 IBA Pipeline Challenge Men Semi FInal 1by IBA World Tour3,870 views
- 30:10 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Men Quarter 1by IBA World Tour1,581 views
- 26:10 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Women Semi Final 1by IBA World Tour1,832 views
- 29:53 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Men Quarter 4by IBA World Tour2,679 views
- 25:10 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge DK Quarter 4by IBA World Tour1,347 views
- 30:53 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Men Quarter 3by IBA World Tour1,646 views
- 4:21 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Day 1 Highlightsby IBA World Tour55,717 views
- 8:20:18 2012 IBA Pipe Challenge Day 4by IBA World Tour15,937 views
- 15:55 2012 Pipe Challenge Women Finalby IBA World Tour1,835 views
- 5:43 IBA Bodyboarding Uri Valadao Espirito Santo Trip UVTVby IBA World Tour13,671 views
- 2:42 SachaSpecker - 2012 IBA PIPELINE CHALLENGEby IBA World Tour15,528 views