Caveman Blogger Fights for Free Speech and Internet Freedom
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 29, 2012
Can the government throw you in jail for offering advice on the Internet about what food people should buy at the grocery store?
That is exactly the claim made by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition. In December 2011, diabetic blogger Steve Cooksey started a Dear Abby-style advice column on his popular blog (www.diabetes-warrior.net) to answer reader questions. One month later, the State Board informed Steve that he could not give readers advice on diet, whether for free or for compensation, because doing so constituted the unlicensed, and thus criminal, practice of dietetics. The State Board also told Steve that his private emails and telephone calls with readers and friends were illegal, as was his paid life-coaching service. The State Board went through Steve's writings with a red pen, indicating what he may and may not say without a government-issued license.
But the First Amendment does not allow the government to ban people from sharing ordinary advice about diet, or scrub the Internet—from blogs to Facebook to Twitter—of speech the government does not like. North Carolina can no more force Steve to become a licensed dietitian than it could require Dear Abby to become a licensed psychologist.
That is why on May 30, 2012, Steve Cooksey joined the Institute for Justice in filing a major free speech lawsuit against the State Board in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, Charlotte Division. This lawsuit seeks to answer one of the most important unresolved questions in First Amendment law: When does the government's power to license occupations trump free speech?
Standard YouTube License
- 1:38:06 Paleo Diet & Strength Training Biochemistry | Doug McGuff M.D. | Full Length HDby Under21convention07Featured 288,786
- 5:05 Why Can't Chuck Get His Business Off the Ground?by InstituteForJustice 172,605 views
- 5:01 Should You Need the Government's Permission to Work?by InstituteForJustice 108,962 views
- 3:59 Game of T̶h̶r̶o̶n̶e̶s̶ [Food Trucks]: Chicago's Mobile Vendors in an Epic Food Fightby InstituteForJustice 116,715 views
- 1:56 Can the Government Make Entrepreneurs Do Useless Things For No Reason?by InstituteForJustice 19,065 views
- 9:22 Rowan Atkinson on England and Freedom of Speechby yazchattiest 5,589 views
- 1:50 Explainer: Did Cavemen Eat Vegetables?by slatester 18,006 views
- 8:41 LibLabCon crack down on UK internet free speech (18Mar13)by liarpoliticians 946 views
- 1:19 Can The Government Outlaw Groupon Discounts?by InstituteForJustice 6,026 views
- 6:03 So You Want To Be A Blogger | Blogging Tips For Noobs: EP.1 Starting Offby Billy McGovern 12,068 views
- 3:38 Your allotted amount of free speech has expired!by LainieDuro 14,394 views
- 2:35 FREE SPEECH FIGHT: New Orleans Bureaucrats Silence Speech, Tour Guides Fight Backby InstituteForJustice 7,530 views
- 3:07 Robb Wolf - The Paleo Solutionby BrianP1350 94,491 views
- 4:28 How to Make Money Blogging| Discover How to Make Money Blogging with Viral Blogging Systemby HowMakeMoneyBloggin 51,773 views
- 1:33 Paleo Diet Review - What Is The Paleo Diet Lifestyle?by Robert Cummings 3,150 views
- 17:40 Team Lewis & Simon - Part 1 Survival Gamesby BlueXephos 3,556,217 views
- 59:44 Secretary Clinton Speaks on Internet Freedomby statevideo 24,262 views
- 2:43 If a Police Dog "Alerts," Should You Lose Your Cash, Car and Other Property?by InstituteForJustice 14,340 views
- 1:34 How to Change the World - Free Speech - BBC Threeby BBC 16,579 views
- 3:43 B.o.B - So Good [Official Video]by bobatl 23,890,707 views
- Loading more suggestions...