RUTH WEISBERG : NOW AND THEN
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 6, 2012
Film by Eric Minh Swenson. Music by Daedelus.
This exhibition presents paintings and works on paper by one of Los Angeles' most celebrated figurative artists. "Ruth Weisberg: Now & Then" presents works from more than three decades, and includes Weisberg's most recent paintings and drawings, revealing a unique vision through which the viewer sees the convergence of art history, personal memory, and cultural experience.
The exhibition reveals Weisberg's decades-long interest in re-imagining the works of such past masters as Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese, Velazquez, Blake and Corot. Through fresco-like effects in her unstretched paintings, as well as the veils of washes in her masterful lithographs, Weisberg brings past-time into contemporary context. She also extends that dialogue with artists who have had a profound influence upon her and modern art history in two paintings in this front gallery by imagining her daughter in the company of Alberto Giacometti in the 1989 painting entitled Alone, Together. Again her progeny, as surrogate for the artist herself, is seen in another work entitled Now, Then from 1990, places her daughter in Giacometti's studio, based upon actual historical photographs of its interior.
Since her arrival in Los Angeles in 1969, Ruth Weisberg has been a formidable influence and mentor to decades of artists in this city and beyond. Her first major survey in Los Angeles was in 1979 at the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery. She was the first artist exhibited at The Women's Building (Judy Chicago was simultaneously presented with a solo exhibition to inaugurate that venue). With more than 80 solo exhibitions and nearly 200 group exhibitions internationally, Weisberg is the first living painter to have been afforded a solo exhibition at the Norton Simon Museum of Art. Weisberg also holds that distinction at the Huntington Library and two works from that exhibition are included in "Now & Then".
Ruth Weisberg's work is included in the permanent collections of over 60 museums, including the Metropolitan Museum, National Gallery ofArt in Washington, D.C., Whitney Museum of AmericanArt, Portland Art Museum, Los Angeles County Museum of Art,Getty Research Institute, Norton Simon Museum, Art Institute of Chicago, Detroit Institute of Arts, Biblioteque Nationale in Paris, and the Instituto Nationale per la Grafica in Rome, among many others.
Among her numerous citations, Weisberg was awarded the Foundation for Jewish Culture¹s 50th Anniversary Cultural Achievement Award, 2011, the 2009 Women's Caucus Lifetime Achievement Award, 1999 College Art Association's Distinguished Teaching of Art Award, a Senior Research Fulbright combined with a visiting artist residency at the American Academy in Rome, a National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Seminar, and a Doctor of Humane Letters,
honoris causa, from Hebrew Union College. She also held the distinction of being President of the College Art Association.
Weisberg has written more than 60 articles, reviews and catalogue essays. She is currently a professor at USC, where she was one of the longest tenured Deans of the Roski School of Fine Arts.
Directed by Eric Minh Swenson. For more info on Eric Minh Swenson or project inquiries visit his website :www.thuvanarts.com
ART SERIES: www.thuvanarts.com/take1
MUSIC VIDEOS: www.thuvanarts.com/musicvideos
Music by Daedelus
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Fin De Siecle" on
- 50:12 Laurie Simmons and Carroll Dunham at Anderson Ranch Arts Centerby AndersonRanchArtsCtr693 views
- 6:43 Ruth Palmer paints "Rain Down" Part Four - The Endby Ruth Palmer3,959 views
- 4:39 Painting Time Lapse - Ruth Oostermanby Ruth Oosterman598 views
- 9:06 Otis presents Pioneers of the Feminist Art Movement: Ruth Weisbergby OtisCollege990 views
- 11:08 Ruth Weisberg: Guido Cagnacci and the Resonant Imageby USCRoski809 views
- 7:13 LETTERS FROM LOS ANGELES : JACK RUTBERG FINE ARTSby ERIC SWENSON692 views
- 4:27 What is Fresco?by Liana Sofia Tumino12,226 views
- 10:01 NASA's Alien Anomalies caught on film - A compilation of stunning UFO footage from NASA's archivesby LunaCognita13,843,652 views
- 58:47 The World's Most Expensive Paintings (BBC Documentary)by DocumentaryChanneI341,793 views
- 10:41 Maker Profile - Kinetic Wave Sculptures on MAKE: televisionby MAKE879,808 views
- 10:00 Daedelus - Stage Tech View - Hip Kitty Jazz Clubby VJ FRANZ K47,708 views
- 9:46 SHANE GUFFOGG : GINEVRA DE BENCI : LATEST WORKSby ERIC SWENSON1,035 views
- 10:52 オイコスリズム -oikos rhythm-Vol.1by OsakaNakatsuVicode1,076 views
- 3:51 Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese: Rivals in Renaissance Veniceby WBUR7,183 views
- 26:31 OPEN DOORS: JOSEPH TODOROVITCH, THOMAS PATHE, ALEX COUWENBERG, BRADFORD J SALAMONby ERIC SWENSON790 views
- 10:03 Паоло Веронезе. Сказки картинной галереиby Тётушка Сова1,475 views
- 24:50 The Robert H. Timme Architectural Research Center Dedicationby USC Architecture977 views
- 2:48 Carving Marble with Traditional Toolsby Getty Museum48,744 views
- 7:50 TERRELL MOORE : GLUED DOWN, WASHED UP, AND WIPED OUT : PART 1by ERIC SWENSON692 views
- 9:31 Olalla Alemán, José de Nebra: Ay amor, ay Clelia. Amor Aumenta el valor.by Jan van outryve3,315 views
- Loading more suggestions...