The Story of Mouseland: As told by Tommy Douglas in 1944
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 21, 2009
It's the story of a place called Mouseland. Mouseland was a place where all the little mice lived and played, were born and died. And they lived much the same as you and I do.
They even had a Parliament. And every four years they had an election. Used to walk to the polls and cast their ballots. Some of them even got a ride to the polls. And got a ride for the next four years afterwards too. Just like you and me. And every time on election day all the little mice used to go to the ballot box and they used to elect a government. A government made up of big, fat, black cats.
Now if you think it strange that mice should elect a government made up of cats, you just look at the history of Canada for last 90 years and maybe you'll see that they weren't any stupider than we are.
Now I'm not saying anything against the cats. They were nice fellows. They conducted their government with dignity. They passed good laws--that is, laws that were good for cats. But the laws that were good for cats weren't very good for mice. One of the laws said that mouseholes had to be big enough so a cat could get his paw in. Another law said that mice could only travel at certain speeds--so that a cat could get his breakfast without too much effort.
All the laws were good laws. For cats. But, oh, they were hard on the mice. And life was getting harder and harder. And when the mice couldn't put up with it any more, they decided something had to be done about it. So they went en masse to the polls. They voted the black cats out. They put in the white cats.
Now the white cats had put up a terrific campaign. They said: "All that Mouseland needs is more vision." They said:"The trouble with Mouseland is those round mouseholes we got. If you put us in we'll establish square mouseholes." And they did. And the square mouseholes were twice as big as the round mouseholes, and now the cat could get both his paws in. And life was tougher than ever.
And when they couldn't take that anymore, they voted the white cats out and put the black ones in again. Then they went back to the white cats. Then to the black cats. They even tried half black cats and half white cats. And they called that coalition. They even got one government made up of cats with spots on them: they were cats that tried to make a noise like a mouse but ate like a cat.
You see, my friends, the trouble wasn't with the colour of the cat. The trouble was that they were cats. And because they were cats, they naturally looked after cats instead of mice.
Presently there came along one little mouse who had an idea. My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea. And he said to the other mice, "Look fellows, why do we keep on electing a government made up of cats? Why don't we elect a government made up of mice?" "Oh," they said, "he's a Bolshevik. Lock him up!" So they put him in jail.
But I want to remind you: that you can lock up a mouse or a man but you can't lock up an idea.
For more information visit http://www.mousland.info
Standard YouTube License
- 4:13 ISON on HUBBLE /New Image.by BPEarthWatch Featured 65,406
- 42:22 Greatest Canadian Tommy Douglasby McKeowTube603 views
- 16:06 Scientology Sea Org & DOUBT Pt 3 The Shocking TRUTHby ToryMagoo442,182 views
- 13:05 Tommy Douglas 1971by Fed Vid3,696 views
- 5:03 MOUSELAND - LE PAYS DES SOURISby TEATRO ALEPH29,909 views
- 27:17 The fight for medicare in Saskatchewanby Doug Taylor2,342 views
- 6:19 US Presidents visting Canada(Bill Clinton and Barack Obama)by PrObamaAntiTeaParty25,191 views
- 1:06:59 The New North American Energy Paradigm: Reshaping the Futureby Council on Foreign Relations6,294 views
- 13:11 Evo Morales in his own wordsby TheRealNews39,476 views
- 6:29 neoliberalism as water balloon - part-1by haluxTube6,614 views
- 10:36 Understanding Different Forms Of Governmentby PatriotsUnitedNow3,289 views
- 2:11 fabula las gallinasby kikemoreno14384,795 views
- 10:01 Tommy Douglas - Medicare February 2, 1979by DCFTOMMY197110,569 views
- 10:02 Kiefer Sutherland's Grandfather Remembered For Bringing Universal Healthcare System To Canada 1 of 2by mediagrrl94,949 views
- 7:19 Rowan Atkinson As Mr Bean In Mr Bean Wedding Red Noise Day-Comic Relief.mp4by jimmy jobson23,624 views
- 6:46 Tommy Allsup tells of the coin flip with Ritchie Valensby lonestarsound402,815 views
- 2:58 Tommy's Story - Indonesian Live Export Investigationby Animals Australia15,699 views
- 7:43 Tommy Douglas - Mouselandby Gary Chisholm3,916 views
- 6:37 Mouselandby intrakota161,206 views
- 6:38 Shirley Douglas On George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight: INTERVIEWby TheHour1,756 views
- Loading more suggestions...