This video is unavailable.
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 19, 2012
Transcript is included in this description, after these links.
See our SECOND video: http://youtu.be/0MM2Bwkt82k
Sign the petition at:
To send letters to different companies and learn more about this:
Further information regarding captioning and accessibility can be found at:
GLAD's lawsuit against CNN:
NAD's lawsuit against Netflix:
Collaborative for Communication Access via Captioning:
More Benefits of captions:
Forbes article on CC Upgrades, Searchability and Why It's Personal:
Get a "Stop Audism" t-shirt!
Special thanks to Ben Jarashow for the Pierre Desloges quote!
An Ink & Salt Production
Seriously, are you kidding me?
This shows lack of accessibility...
I'm genuinely concerned, as Internet is growing at a rapid pace, and the Deaf community is lagging even further behind, because we're lacking access to information.
CNN is an excellent source for global news, however they do not caption their videos at all.
Greater Los Angeles on Deafness (GLAD) is currently in a lawsuit with them.
There's another example, with Netflix, as they now use streaming to view videos online and many of them are not captioned.
National Association of the Deaf (NAD) filed a lawsuit against Netflix for this.
It's not the just two. There are many more examples, including sports.
Would you like to see more examples?
There you go!
See that? There is that many!
I want you to understand what Deaf people go through everyday.
But how do I do that?
Ah-ha. I know!
I would like to share with you a great quote by Pierre Desloges.
It is certainly inspirational and invokes goosebumps.
Guess the year he wrote the quote.
Let me tell you, the year of 1779.
Quite a while ago!
Bet you are relieved the captions are back?
Did you feel lost and confused?
That is because you lacked access to our language.
Now imagine experiencing this everyday.
You might think that captions are only for the Deaf community? This is not true.
In fact, it can benefit everyone.
Here is a brief list of how you can benefit from captions.
(List of benefits)
Captioning online videos will:
Help people with age-related hearing loss
Increase video searchability
Improve literacy skills
Enable universal access
Now, I need your support to stop the oppression that denies Deaf people our right to access information.
Let us all work together and call attention to this issue.
What? Use this hashtag!
Let us take advantage of Facebook and Twitter!
Start talking about this and spread the word.
I want all of us to work together and make this happen on a specific day.
When? June 6th.
On June 6, let us work fervently to contact all companies, organizations and people who neglected to caption their online videos.
It is time for us to end this social injustice.
June 6th is the day the world will hea--- SEE us!
Please spread the word by sharing this video. Thank you!
Standard YouTube License
- 9:34 Jessica hears for the first timeby jessiecijourney 457,506 views
- 2:00 #captionTHIS Day of Actionby monkichia 13,377 views
- 16:47 Deaf People and Employmentby Pauline Erika 15,634 views
- 5:33 Differences in deaf and hearing cultureby amy hansen 26,869 views
- 22:03 Deaf Sensitivity Training Video for Police Officersby deafinc 90,321 views
- 6:57 Results of Cochlear implantation in Children Presented by Choices-Delaware.org.mp4by DRMTCI 602,835 views
- 3:41:15 LES MISERABLES (1957) - Full Movie - Captionedby dcmpnad 509,957 views
- 11:32 Alone in a Hearing Worldby blcording4444 44,633 views
- 10:00 My Son is DEAF, Finally! (Subtitled)by James Kittell 234,901 views
- 57:14 For A Deaf Son - Full Documentary - Captionedby dcmpnad 3,783 views
- 10:09 Movie Caption Surveyby Roger Claussen 5,606 views
- 1:21:45 T3W Conversation with Jeff Jarvis, April 1, 2012by Trey Harris 467 views
- 0:22 Caption this: High school runner carries opponent across finish lineby CaptionThis1 10,054 views
- 7:03 Early Intervention: The Missing Linkby aslizedvideos 51,586 views
- 7:12 Around the News by Ken Davis in ASL - May 4, 2012by deafnewspaper 1,352 views
- 2:44 ASL video at NYC's Times Squareby convorelay 11,430 views
- 10:29 George Washington, 1st President of the United States.by Jamerica360 528 views
- 2:09 Kendall KIDSby April Jackson-Woodard 3,250 views
- 4:46 A Thousand Years - Christina Perri Lyricsby DBdarma 35,262,870 views
- 3:31 Don't Leave Me Out! (English Subtitles)by CCAC Captioning 13,523 views
- Loading more suggestions...