Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide Movement Trailer
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 11, 2012
The Half the Sky movement is cutting across platforms to ignite the change needed to put an end to the oppression of women and girls worldwide, the defining issue of our time. Inspired by journalists Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn's book of the same name, Half the Sky brings together video, websites, games, blogs and other educational tools to not only raise awareness of women's issues, but to also provide concrete steps to fight these problems and empower women. Change is possible, and you can be part of the solution.
Visit halftheskymovement.org to join the movement.
Sheryl WuDunn: The challenge that women and girls face is not an easy topic to talk about but we really think it is the moral challenge of the century.
Susan Sarandon: These problems exist because we created them, so it's up to us to fix them.
Hillary Clinton: The way that Nick and Sheryl use stories to break through the indifference that still exists when you talk about women and girls is exactly the right way to go about it.
George Clooney: We understand the story always. This is how people get engaged.
Sheryl WuDunn: Nick and I wanted to galvanize people into action because we know it takes a world to bring about this change. We're utilizing every tool and platform available to get the message across.
Nicholas Kristof: We are going to be going on a journey to some of the places in the world where the repression of women and girls is truly at its most extreme.
Olivia Wilde: I read Half the Sky and I thought that's really what I want to do. I want to go and see things for myself.
Nicholas Kristof: You've had the traffickers hold a gun to your head?
Somaly Mam: You're going to take their own money. The girl is their money. Of course they're not happy with you.
Nicholas Kristof: It still does seem as if something is wrong if thousands of thousands of girls are getting raped and in all of Freetown, only one rapist is prosecuted.
Gabrielle Union: You know what lasts a lot longer than beauty? Being smart lasts a lot longer than being pretty.
Edna Adan: This little hospital built on a garbage dump, has reduced maternal mortality rates of the women who come here to one quarter of the national average.
Amie Kandeh: We need to be able to have our voices heard.
Urmi Basu: Our biggest challenge here is to create opportunities. Convince the mothers every single day of her existence that your daughter does not have to be bound by fate. She needs to be allowed the power to create her own fate.
Connect on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/halftheskymo...
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/half
Join the Movement: http://www.halftheskymovement.org/
Standard YouTube License
- 9:41 Half the Sky Movement - Afghanistan - Sakeena Yacoobiby HalfSkyMovementFeatured 6,780
- 10:47 Amiyah's Storyby HalfSkyMovement 2,517 views
- 5:48 Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide Trailerby HalfSkyMovement 112,616 views
- 5:22 Olivia Wilde on Empowering Women Economically in Kenyaby HalfSkyMovement 5,735 views
- 1:27 Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide - Maternal Mortality Featureby HalfSkyMovement 15,456 views
- 8:03 Human Trafficking in Indiaby Trilok Singh Bhuraita 395,118 views
- 17:12 No Woman Should Die Giving Birth: Maternal Mortality in Sierra Leoneby AmnestyInternational 64,204 views
- 49:03 Wareysi Khaas ah Marwo Adna Adan Ismaaciil (SLNTV London - Barnijka Waayo - Arag)by SaraarMedia 5,200 views
- 7:41 Half the Sky: 3 Ways You Can Change The World Right Nowby marieforleo 21,460 views
- 7:19 Edna's House: Healing in Somalilandby devinfoxall 28,250 views
- 4:40 MORE Moms Dying During Childbirth In USby NewsPoliticsInfo 10,616 views
- 1:19 Half the Sky Movement Trailerby HalfSkyMovement 61,536 views
- 5:58 Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide | Coming October 1 & 2by PBS 14,173 views
- 26:55 Somaliland: Edna Adan Ismail in Hargeisa on 3rd December 1998by Evelin Lindner 2,839 views
- 3:42 Gabrielle Union on the Challenges That Girls Face in Vietnamby HalfSkyMovement 954 views
- 1:47 Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide - Forced Prostitution Featureby HalfSkyMovement 13,082 views
- 0:31 Discovery Home & Health estrena el aclamado documental Half the Sky el 24 de marzoby SarahLeePrensa 1,290 views
- 2:51 I am Powerfulby careusa 17,974 views
- 20:55 HALF THE SKYby FortuneMagazineVideo 4,077 views
- 5:30 Carlos Mendez Hermano de Eva Mendes habla sobre su primo Jencarlos Canela - Paparazi Magazineby PattyVideos Santillan 1,080 views
- Loading more suggestions...