- Venture Capital - Andrew Siegel of Advance Publications - TWiVC #68
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 22, 2012
On this episode of This Week in Venture Capital, Mark Suster interviews Andrew Siegel of Advance Publications (parent company of Conde Nast and others) on the changing print landscape.
00:30 Welcome everyone, I'm here today with Andrew Siegel of Advance Publications.
1:45 Tell us a little about Advance Publications and your role there.
2:45 You're one of the largest publication owners in the world, aren't you?
3:30 You were running corporate development for Yahoo before this?
5:15 How do young entrepreneurs begin to work with a company like yours?
7:00 Do you disclose which funds you've invested in?
7:30 Thank you to Walker Corporate Law for sponsoring the show. Everyone follow @ScottEdWalker for some great insight into the legal process.
8:45 How do you feel about your properties? Do you feel protected from new media?
10:30 Is news being disaggregated?
11:30 Andrew on the importance of high-quality content.
15:00 Andrew tells about a time he heard a German tourist ID the Conde Nast building in NYC.
16:00 How do you view the transition of your magazines to the iPad, to e-readers?
17:45 Which other publishers "get it" the most?
21:30 How do you balance the people with more money than time--and with more time than money?
22:00 Why did Advance Publications buy Reddit?
24:45 Are there similarities between Twitter and Reddit?
25:30 How should entrepreneurs approach you for funding?
28:15 Thank you to Detroit Venture Partners for their support of the show! Check out detroitventurepartners.com.
31:00 Are you investing in email?
33:30 Discussion of Ian Roger's Topspin Media.
36:30 Andrew: Display advertising has a real problem.
38:00 What are your thoughts on product placements?
40:30 Have you been following the Dalton Caldwell vs. Twitter story?
44:45 Consumers want to have an authentic dialogue with a brand.
45:45 What's your process for investing in startups?
48:45 Is it fair to say that every company is different in terms of their M&A strategy?
51:00 Is Pinterest real? Are you seeing much real conversion from it?
52:30 Andrew, thank you so much for joining us today. And thank you to Detroit Venture Partners and to Walker Corporate Law.
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Walker Corporate Law: @scottedwalker
Detroit Venture Partners: @dvptweets
Next in - Venture Capital: Season 2 Episodes
- 1:28:16 - Venture Capital - Jonathan Strauss of Awe.sm on TWiVC #67by ThisWeekIn 3,139 views
- 44:17 - Venture Capital - Mark Suster's speech at NYUby ThisWeekIn 6,850 views
- 30:54 - Web Design - How do I build Mobile Applications using jQuery?by ThisWeekIn 5,855 views
- 1:23:58 Guy Kawasaki: The Top 10 Mistakes of Entrepreneursby UCBerkeleyHaas 43,802 views
- 42:01 Aaron Levie at TiEcon 2012by TiE SiliconValley 1,998 views
- 7:13 Neil Armstrong interview, BBC 1970.by G0tta12 636,560 views
- 4:01 How Mobile Pay Per Call Worksby mobilefused 3,035 views
- 1:15:24 - Startups - Nolan Bushnell of Brainrush - TWiST #282by ThisWeekIn 6,823 views
- 9:26 Angel Investorsby USparkFoundryTV 3,764 views
- 1:03:54 - Startups - News Panel with Peter Pham and Keith Richman - TWiST #278by ThisWeekIn 2,987 views
- 1:19:37 Entrepreneurship Week Speaker: Guy Kawasakiby notredamebusiness 44,166 views
- 8:08 DMX Talks About Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Drake, Rick Ross, and Young Jeezy on MTV's Sucker Freeby NatiCelebs 1,023,212 views
- 1:11:10 - Venture Capital - Eric Ries, author of "The Lean Startup"by ThisWeekIn 20,409 views
- 47:09 12 Lessons Steve Jobs Taught Guy Kawasakiby SVBFinancialGroup 297,448 views
- 26:51 How To Pitch To Investors In Under 2 Minutesby Nathan Gold 12,468 views
- 54:47 - Startups - All Ask Jason - TWiST #283by ThisWeekIn 3,937 views
- 49:09 - Venture Capital - This Week in Venture Capital - Kelly Hwang, Associate at GRPby ThisWeekIn 18,745 views
- 1:01:39 Venture Capital 101by FuquaSchOfBusiness 14,961 views
- 3:26 Harbor Freight Sandblasterby 7impala1 25,849 views