Jim Grant explains how Central Banks are Waging War on Supply and Demand
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 26, 2012
Follow us @
Welcome to Capital Account. Last month, the federal reserve bank of new york invited some of its critics, including our guest, to, as he put it "unburden themselves of their criticisms." The text of his remarks was published in the March 23rd issue of Grant's, and it is most certainly worth reading for those who are wise enough to subscribe. There are a number of points that James Grant makes in his remarks that we have repeated ad nauseum on this show ourselves: accountability for bank executives, a functioning price mechanism, sound money...you know...capitalism.
But the editor of Grant's Interest Rate Observer also makes another interesting proposal with respect to what he would do if, by some act of market revenge, he were made Chairman of the Monetary Priesthood. He would, as he put it: "commission, staff, and ceremonially open the Fed's first Office of Unintended Consequence."
Economics is, after all, a social science, and as such, is beholden to the unintended consequences brought about by the actions of the observer as much as by those of the subject being observed. Imagine if we designated responsibility for precipitation and cloud cover to executives at "The Weather Channel?" Even if this new politburo had the best of intentions, would you feel comfortable ceding control of the weather to a group of 12, unelected, and highly fallible, human beings?
We think not, and if you believe the weather system is not a fair comparison to the system of money and credit, we would beg to differ. The weather, as well as the economy, are both chaotic systems. They are dynamic, and they are organic. They are not well oiled machines to be manipulated and driven from point A to point B at the discretion of some ceremonially chosen motorist, no matter how pure or benign his intentions.
But how would the economy function without the central planners and their open market operations? How would the sacred rate of interest be determined without the shepherds at the Fed? Surely there must be someone to guide the economy...
To help guide us in our pursuit of answers on this, and other topics, is Jim Grant, author and editor of Grant's Interest Rate Observer.
- 25:47 Keiser Report: Central Bank Monarchs (E287)by RT Featured 48,157
- 27:53 Nigel Farage on the "EU Titanic" and the "Rebirth of National Socialism in Europe"by CapitalAccount73,017 views
- 27:51 Krugman "Knocked out of Neoclassical Orbit" by Steve Keen's Meteoric Rise!by CapitalAccount38,646 views
- 28:02 James Turk gives his timeline on the Dollar's Collapse and Gold's role as the messenger!by CapitalAccount68,610 views
- 28:05 GATA's Bill Murphy exposes how the Gold Cartel is Bombing the Market for Precious Metalsby CapitalAccount29,766 views
- 57:24 Asalto al Banco Central Documentalby Videos Policiales26,536 views
- 11:10 James Grant: Gold, the Refuge of the Idiotsby etfideas63,247 views
- 10:24 Central Banking Racketeers (TPTB) and their fake Fiat Monetary System Exposed as Slavery to them!by 77GSlinger40,350 views
- 4:05 CNBC Admits We're All Slaves To Rothschild Central Bankers Global Governementby NinjaRem096,988 views
- 42:09 Money, Banking and the Federal Reserveby misesmedia940,911 views
- 4:45 Jim Rogers The Next Economic Slowdown Is Going To Be Much Worseby etfideas12,930 views
- 15:40 GERALD CELENTE - Obama's work is done. America the Police State. NDAA Act, No Judge, No Juryby 829speedy6,952 views
- 9:59 Who will speak truth to Rothschild , central banks , England,France , USA , Europe pt.1by 48noifoi15,743 views
- 26:49 James Grant (September 2012)by WealthTrack3,749 views
- 3:10 "I don't trust you one inch" Bloom tells European Central Bank chief Draghiby europarl25,574 views
- 58:02 Q&A: Author James Grantby C-SPAN2,132 views
- 23:27 European sovereign debt crisis: Where is it headed?-On the Edge with Max Keiser-04-27-2012by PressTVGlobalNews10,056 views
- 20:28 Bank for International Settlements: Federal Reserve's Central Bank - A Deeper Lookby VisionLiberty1,516 views
- 8:42 Lauren Lyster Inadvertently Blows Massive Hole In Peter Schiff's Senseless Money Supply Argumentby SchittReport41,629 views
- 7:16 Rothschild-owned Central Banks in All But Three Countries in 2013!!by MoneyBags7325,088 views
- Loading more suggestions...