- Startups - Dave Goldberg of SurveyMonkey - #251
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 24, 2012
1:00-2:00 Welcome everyone, I'm here today with SurveyMonkey CEO Dave Goldberg.
2:00-2:45 How did you get started in the Internet business?
2:45-5:45 What did marketing mean in the early 90s?
5:45-9:15 And then you left the music business at some point to start Launch?
9:15-12:00 What in your mind gave you the ability to start up on your own?
12:00-14:15 How much did you sell the software for?
14:15-16:45 Do you remember what the first images you saw on the Internet were?
16:45-21:30 Thank you to Scott Walker of Walker Corporate Law for sponsoring the program and joining us today to answer some questions!
21:30-23:00 How did selling to Yahoo work out for you?
23:00-28:00 What did you do when the stock market started falling apart?
28:00-30:45 What was the problem with Yahoo's search business? That they could never live up to Google?
30:45-33:00 So all the experience of working with a big company and all of it working with a small company has led to the success you're having today with SurveyMonkey?
33:00-36:15 How did you wind up getting involved with SurveyMonkey?
36:15-39:15 Is that why venture funds are decreasing? Because the returns don't justify the investments?
39:15-40:00 Is Portland a good market for developers?
40:00-42:00 What has the secret been to your growth?
42:00-44:30 Have you thought about upping the premium member costs?
44:30-49:30 Thank you to GoToMeeting for supporting TWiST! Everyone thank @GoToMeeting!
49:30-50:45 Did the company recently raise more money?
50:45-53:00 How much of your experience on Launch makes you not want to go public?
53:00-55:00 How do you deal with liquidity for team members? Is SecondMarket a good or a bad thing?
55:00-56:00 What's the difference between the Gen X and Gen Y approach to work?
56:00-59:45 Does your company just have to adapt to the reality of business today?
59:45-1:03:00 Are there any great companies run by people working 40 hours a week?
1:03:00-1:05:00 Do you think the industry is less misogynistic than when we started?
1:05:00-1:07:30 What's it like to come home to the most powerful woman in the tech industry (Dave's wife is Sheryl Sandberg of Facebook)?
1:07:30-1:11:00 Dave: Why I look at angel investing as paying it forward.
1:11:00-1:14:00 If people aren't forwarding you along as an entrepreneur, is it time to take a good look in the mirror or at the product?
1:14:00-1:15:30 Everyone follow @davegoldberg and check out SurveyMonkey, it's an amazing product. Dave, thank you so much, continued success.
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining the TWiST Producer Program at TwistList.co!
Want to support TWiST another way? Use bit.ly/twistamazon when you shop and a portion of your purchase will go toward helping keep independent media like TWiST on air!
Keep up with the latest from our sister company, LAUNCH:
Is There a YCombinator Valuation Bubble or Not?
The One Product that Makes Apple a Trillion-Dollar Company Overnight
Mint.com-for-the-cloud Cloudability to Graduate from TechStars Cloud with 2k+ Customers
LAUNCH Education & Kids, June 12 and 13
FOLLOW ON TWITTER
Walker Corporate Law: @scottedwalker
Next in - Startups: Season 3 Episodes
- 1:06:28 - Startups - David Sacks of Yammer - TWiST #245by ThisWeekIn 1,715 views
- 1:37:20 - Startups - Eric Ries of Lean Startup - TWiST #199by ThisWeekIn 23,561 views
- 1:18:55 - Startups - News Roundtable with Thomas McInerney and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #258by ThisWeekIn 3,955 views
- 53:38 Steve Jobs Lost Interview 1990 - A must watch for any entreprenuerby FOUNDUPS Michael Trout 254,257 views
- 1:06:32 America's most important startup?by Robert Scoble 4,441 views
- 1:05:56 Top 10 Mistakes Made by Entrepreneursby stanfordbusiness 282,377 views
- 1:13:00 NGINX vs Apache | TechSNAP 39by jupiterbroadcasting 9,624 views
- 58:14 From Stanford to Startupby StanfordUniversity 25,593 views
- 58:09 Authors@Google: Eric Ries "The Lean Startup"by AtGoogleTalks 63,180 views
- 7:51 How to use SurveyMonkey Part 1 of 2 HDby SurveyAdvisorsOrg 3,426 views
- 10:35 Survey Monkey Tutorialby AndyAmyOnBiz 10,390 views
- 1:33:05 - Startups - Steve Chen of ScreenDate on This Week in Startups #259by ThisWeekIn 3,115 views
- 1:12:58 - Startups - Chamath Palihapitiya of The Social+Capital Partnership - TWiST #238by ThisWeekIn 7,965 views
- 1:20 Sheryl Sandberg and Marissa Mayerby hh58vbnm 2,896 views
- 1:57:21 TWiST #49 with Sky Daytonby ThisWeekinStartups 7,515 views
- 1:23:56 - Startups - News with Sean Percival and James Altucher - TWiST #223by ThisWeekIn 3,236 views
- 1:18:50 - Startups - Dmitry Shapiro of Anybeat - TWiST #187by ThisWeekIn 3,840 views
- 7:22 Startup Grind feat Matt Roger (Nest) - Quitting Apple To Start Nestby StartupGrind 739 views
- 1:23:42 - Startups - News Panel with Jason Nazar and Marshall Kirkpatrick - TWiST #246by ThisWeekIn 3,085 views