The Truth About GOP Hero Ayn Rand
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 18, 2011
A film adaptation of the 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand, opened this past Friday. The release of the film has coincided with a resurgence of popularity for Rand on the American Right. The trailer for Atlas Shrugged had its world premier at this year's CPAC conference, the Tea Party group FreedomWorks has rolled out a massive campaign to promote the film, and the story's opening line — "Who is John Galt" — has appeared on numerous signs at Tea Party rallies.
At the same time, some of the right's leading political and media lights have heaped praise upon Rand. The author of the Republicans' new budget plan to gut Medicare and Medicaid, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), has said Rand is the reason he entered politics. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) have both declared themselves devotees of her writing. Conservative Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has his law clerks watch the film adaptation of Rand's book The Fountainhead. She's also received accolades from right-wing pundits Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, John Stossel, and Andrew Napolitano.
During her lifetime, Rand advocated "the virtue of selfishness," declared altruism to be "evil," opposed Medicare and all forms of government support for the middle-class and the poor, and condemned Christianity for advocating love and compassion for the less fortunate:
Rand also dismissed the feminist movement as a "false" and "phony" issue, said a female commander in chief would be "unspeakable," characterized Arabs as "almost totally primitive savages," and called government efforts to aid the handicapped and educate "subnormal children" an attempt to "bring everybody to the level of the handicapped."
As for the new Atlas Shrugged film, it made $1.7 million in its first three days in theaters, reasonable but unspectacular numbers for a limited release on 299 screens. But box-office watchers looking to see if the Tea Party represents a discrete market would have been disappointed. The movie grossed just $5,608 per theater over that time period, hardly a sign that groups were buying out theaters or that the movie was a pop culture phenomenon. By contrast, An Inconvenient Truth took in $70,333 per theater during its first five days on screens. That number fell to $17,615 per theater in its second week, but that number is still higher than Atlas Shrugged's more widely-available debut. And Atlas Shrugged's numbers look positively puny next to another culture-war adaptation of a popular book, Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, which raked in $125,185,971 over its first five days in theaters.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:39 Americans Your Lack Of Education Is The Joke Of The World Gore Vidalby maakus8188,054 views
- 3:44 William Buckley on Ayn Rand & Atlas Shruggedby MetrazolElectricity341,282 views
- 19:25 Was erwartet uns 2012/13...? Prof. Dr. Hans J. Bocker exklusiv...by simmy13836,090 views
- 55:58 Christopher Hitchens on the CIA, Ayn Rand, Atheism, Drug Decriminalization (1996)by The Film Archive16,804 views
- 2:48 Hitchens Destroys the Cult of Ayn Randby DefenceSpeech750,909 views
- 10:57 Global Information Network - Dave Chappelle On Secret Societiesby AccessGIN112,421 views
- 4:50 AYN RAND's message to AMERICAby XCowboy2400,921 views
- 9:49 John Galt's Speech from 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Randby AudibleSuperfan89,846 views
- 2:32 Milton Friedman Sets Liberal Straight On "Too Many Millionaires".wmvby Lew Waters103,073 views
- 6:44 Floyd Mayweather vs Oscar De La Hoya RECAPby dabulblaz697,703 views
- 2:39 Ayn Rand on Israel and the Middle Eastby brittle13339,542 views
- 45:01 Ayn Rand on Donahue 1979by MensBusinessAsocEduc38,748 views
- 9:59 Nathaniel Branden on "My Years With Ayn Rand"by ReasonTV55,103 views
- 13:25 AYN RAND ON JOHNNY CARSON part 1 of 2by lordcris105,218 views
- 2:36 Christopher Hitchens Dispels Ronald Reagan Greatness Myths(1996)by CEHitchens33179,002 views
- 9:23 Ayn Rand - The Morality of Altruismby LibertyPen60,502 views
- 1:26 Ayn Rand on Feminismby progressxoverdue168,764 views
- 10:03 Thom Hartmann: Atlas Shrugged - bizarre philosophy at workby The Big Picture RT18,858 views
- 9:52 Ayn Rand - In Defense of Capitalismby LibertyPen85,955 views
- 0:43 Ralph Nader on Ayn Randby FistThingsFirst122,542 views
- Loading more suggestions...