Occupy the Woodlawn Clinic in Chicago! Mental Health Movement
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 12, 2012
N'Dana Carter, who goes to one of the city clinics and is a spokesperson for the Mental Health Movement, speaks to a cop who does a very poor job of convincing her to abandon their occupation.
Mental Health Clinic Facing Closure Occupied by Patients and Advocates
Mental Health Movement barricaded inside Woodlawn Clinic until Rahm Emanuel backs off clinic closures
Dozens of people who use Chicago's mental health clinics along with other advocates have barricaded themselves into the Woodlawn Clinic at 6337 S. Woodlawn, one of 6 clinics facing closure. They intend to remain there until Mayor Emanuel agrees to keep all of Chicago's public clinics open, fully funded and fully staffed.
Two of the clinics slated for closure - the Northwest Clinic in Logan Square and the Northtown Clinic in Rogers Park - shut their doors last Friday. Four others (Woodlawn, Auburn/Gresham, Back of the Yards and Beverly/Morgan Park) are scheduled to close April 30th. The Mental Health Movement, which put out a report and a video undermining the Chicago Department of Public Health's claim that all patients will continue to receive care, has been calling for hearings on the clinic closures since October. Despite repeated promises and a resolution calling for hearings, the Emanuel Administration has prevented any hearings from taking place in order to avoid public scrutiny of the plan, which has come under fire even from Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart.
"We have tried everything we could to be heard. We visited Mayor Emanuel when he was a candidate. We delivered him over 4,000 letters. We have talked to almost all 50 Alderman. We have held press conferences, rallies and even sat-in for 10 hours on the 5th floor of City Hall. We are the ones who know the disaster these clinic closures will mean for our communities and our city but Mayor Emanuel been unwilling to listen to us, so we are taking drastic measures to avoid a tragedy and defend our human rights," says N'Dana Carter, who goes to one of the city clinics and is a spokesperson for the Mental Health Movement.
The people barricaded in the clinic have enough food and supplies to stay for months and are threatening to do so unless Mayor Emanuel meets the following five demands:
1 Keep all 12 city mental health clinics public, open, fully funded and fully staffed
2 Stop plans to privatize Chicago's 7 neighborhood health centers
3 Hire more doctors, therapists, nurses, social workers and other clinic staff
4 Reinstate the drug assistance program
5 Expand the public mental health safety net to cover unmet community needs
- 2:58 Military Black Helicopters Blaze Over Chicago 'For What's Going to Happen Next Month' Apr 17 2012by xBehindthetruthxFeatured 3,803
- 1:59 Chicago Police scuffle with demonstrators occupying Woodlawn Clinicby schoolofdissent 1,634 views
- 9:00 OUR LIVES ON THE LINE: Voices from Chicago's mental health clinicsby StopChicago 1,089 views
- 1:48 "A Change Is Gonna Come" Chicago's Mental Health Movement occupies Woodlawn Clinicby schoolofdissent 364 views
- 1:26 Man occupying Chicago's Woodlawn Clinic explains to cop why they are occupyingby schoolofdissent 351 views
- 3:59 Occupy West Side Story - Officer Winskiby keroscenerecords 18,888 views
- 5:23 Original - Ron Paul Revolution! Ron Paul is on his way to the White House!by RonPaulorRonPaul 1,977 views
- 36:15 Interview with a Clinical Mental Health Therapistby LuvDaGadgets's channel
- 5:08 Happy 2011 New Year's from TWO!by TWOCHICAGO 819 views
- 3:51 Outlaw Occupy: US set to strangle protests with jail threatsby RussiaToday 77,414 views
- 1:03 Woodlawn Mental Health Clinic Occupationby tristero3122 600 views
- 5:32 [Orignal full version] 1 Marine vs. 30 Cops (By. J. handy)by BklynJHandy 9,089,967 views
- 1:46 Months After Zuccotti Park Eviction, Occupy Wall Street Springs Up Outside New York Stock Exchangeby democracynow 1,330 views
- 5:32 COMBATE: La Pantera Zegarra se desmayó y fue llevado a una clínica 14/05/2013by Giancarlos Torres 1,015 views
- 7:17 Occupy Wall Street revival?by RTAmerica 5,546 views
- 2:05 Occupy Trainers Practice Tactics For NATO Summit (RAW)by The Video Catalyst Project 1,507 views
- 9:23 Four Patients with Schizophreniaby videoberries 569,395 views
- 5:40 A13 Occupy Answers New York Stock Exchange 3:53 pmby OccupyTVNY 4,347 views
- 9:52 Occupation of Woodlawn Mental Health Clinic - 2by mainjurii 215 views
- 24:46 A Theory of Mental Health Part 2by Stefan Molyneux 7,269 views
- Loading more suggestions...