Protesters Met By Police Outside Rahm Emanuel /Tom Barrett fundraiser
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 30, 2012
Video by Tracey Pollock
Chicago Mayor and former advisor to President Obama Rahm Emanuel was in Milwaukee Wednesday to raise money for Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. He also ended up raising a howl of protest from people upset over privatization of city services, union rights and the upcoming NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) summit in Chicago.
A coalition of activists from Occupy Milwaukee, Occupy Chicago, Occupy the Hood-Milwaukee, Occupy the Hood-Chicago, Occupy Riverwest, Students for a Democratic Society, Peace Action WI, Southside Together Organizing for Power, the Milwaukee Coalition to Protest NATO, Progressive Democrats of America, Wisconsin Bail Out the People Movement, the Milwaukee Graduate Assistants Association, International Action Center, and the Chicago Mental Health Movement, and AFSCME assembled to protest Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel at a fundraiser for Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett at the Italian Community Center in Milwaukee, Thursday. The cost of entry to the fundraiser ranged from $400 and $2,500.
Protesters say Emanuel has moved to privatize Chicago city services, including recycling, a push for charter schools while closing several public schools and closing community health centers. Chicago?s new city budget privatizes all seven of the cities neighborhood health centers as well as closing half (6 of 12) of the cities mental health facilities. In the last year, Emanuel has issued lay off notices for more than 600 city employees, replacing these positions with private contracted workers.
Impact of Chicago?s privatization
The protesters say the privatization of these positions and sectors has a negative impact on public sector unions across the city. At the same time of mass privatization, Emanuel has refused to meet with various labor leaders to discuss wages and benefits. Critics say this is much like Milwaukee Mayor Barrett?s refusal to meet with city employee (Milwaukee) labor leaders before Act 10 (elimination of nearly all collective bargaining rights) became law in Wisconsin last summer.
The NATO summit is to be held in Chicago, May 20-21. Emanuel has been granted unlimited spending authority by the Chicago City Council for security measures in anticipation of a mass protest. Security measures include over 3,000 face masks, that will fit over gas masks, and aerial surveillance. Protestors have been denied a permit to hold a march, but plan to move forward with the action anyways. About 10,000 people are anticipated to show up to protest the war in Afghanistan and the NATO summit.
Barrett is a likely candidate to run against Governor Walker in a recall election. Barrett says he will make an announcement on that sometime before Tuesday when Milwaukee holds its city election. If he runs against Walker, he will likely need more than the money he raised on Wednesday. Walker has already amassed a campaign war chest of $12 Million.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:06 Protest of Rahm Emanuel at Tom Barrett Fundraiserby UpTakeVideo328 views
- 28:04 Milwaukee Tightens Security When Occupy Coalition Visitsby UpTakeVideo129 views
- 2:46 Teachers Union Supports Occupy Wall Street in Milwaukeeby UpTakeVideo437 views
- 16:00 Rahm Emanuel on Late Show (Sept. 9, 2013)by wbbmam3,400 views
- 11:01 Trumpet 6 - World War 3 - Jerusalem Conquered - Armageddon Newsby Armageddon News18,083 views
- 53:15 Scott Walker-Tom Barrett May 25, 2012 Debateby Kris Zane4,935 views
- 12:18 Protest Rahm Emanuelby Joseph Brusky644 views
- 31:50 [05/19] Saturday: The Dailies - Daily Dispatch From The NATO Protestsby natoindymedia1,474 views
- 9:00 OUR LIVES ON THE LINE: Voices from Chicago's mental health clinicsby StopChicago1,242 views
- 28:43 Opposing NATO in Chicago May 20, 2012by Patrick McDonough7,041 views
- 6:09 Brian Williams At The White House-Rahm Emanuelby Speakmymind0247,651 views
- 3:48 Rahm's Clinic Closer CHASED OUT of the South Sideby StopChicago3,827 views
- 23:47 Bill Clinton and Tom Barrett - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Complete Speechby nate532021,927 views
- 1:34 Tom Barrett Defends Himself Against AFSCME Attack Adby todaystmj4380 views
- 6:46 The Revolution Continues in Wisconsinby occupyWisconsin166 views
- 11:16 Privatization of Health Care Protest October 2011by antieviction1157 views
- 5:50 Mayor Rahm Emanuel Gives Conan Chicago Citizenship Test - CONAN on TBSby Team Coco50,684 views
- 6:24 Shoot to Kill Order at Chicago No Fly Zone during NATO summit (PoliceState, Checkpoints, NWO)by 829speedy1,745 views
- 4:22 Angry Mob Protests Court Ruling on Rahm Emanuel's Mayoral Runby Rebel Pundit7,420 views
- 4:47 Tom Barrett's concession speechby Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Inc2,295 views
- Loading more suggestions...