Neighbor in Foreclosure Scolds Police as They Arrest 2 Anti-Foreclosure Activists
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 21, 2012
Minneapolis - Around 6:30am this morning a large balloon banner reading "Evictions Stop Here" was deployed above the embattled home of the Cruz family as 15 supporters of the Cruz family began an occupation of the rooftop in protest of the family's unjust foreclosure. By 8:30am two were cut out of a lockbox device with an electric saw, handcuffed, taken down a ladder and arrested for trespassing. The action kicks off a national day of action in 18 cities demanding PNC Bank negotiate with the family to allow them to return to their home.
Alejandra and David Cruz will arrive at the bank's headquarters in Pittsburgh around 1pm with over 40,000 petition signatures and their loan modification documents demanding a meeting with CEO Jim Rohr to renegotiate their mortgage.
The Cruzes' battle against an unjust foreclosure has become a focal point for the Occupy movement and garnered media attention from around the country. In the past month, 24 community supporters with Occupy Homes MN have been arrested defending the south Minneapolis home. The campaign has become a sticky political situation for local elected officials, PNC Bank, and Freddie Mac, the current owner of the property.
Although PNC has acknowledged the foreclosure was due to a bank error, executives have repeatedly said they are working "behind the scenes" to fix the situation, and Executive Vice President Dan Taylor said that he would look into the Cruzes' case, the bank has not offered a negotiation. "We feel like PNC and Freddie Mac have forgotten us," said David Cruz. "So we're going to remind them."
On their way to Pittsburgh, the Cruzes stopped in Chicago to visit Freddie Mac, the current owner of the home, at their regional office, where 40 supporters rallied with the Cruzes' battered front door. Supporters then marched to a local PNC branch where they were denied entrance by Chicago police officers and the branch refused to accept the Cruzes' loan documents.
Thursday evening in Minneapolis, community members and neighbors will rally sending a clear message to PNC Bank that if a negotiation has not been offered, supporters will continue to return to the home even if it means risking arrest. "This home belongs to the Cruz family," said Occupy Homes MN organizer Nick Espinosa. "We won't rest until they're back in it."
The schedule for Thursday's actions is as follows:
THURSDAY 6/21: National Day of Action Against PNC Bank.
As the Cruz family arrives at PNC Bank headquarters in Pittsburgh, supporters will rally across the country to demand that PNC live up to their word and work with the Cruz family.
In Minneapolis supporters will hold a rally and vigil at the Cruz home (6pm Central Time; 4044 Cedar Ave S, Minneapolis, MN)
Rallies in support of the Cruz family are planned in Atlanta, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Detroit, Gainesville, Greensboro, Milwaukee, New York, Newark, Philadelphia, St. Louis
In Pittsburgh the Cruz family delegation and local supporters will rally and march to PNC Headquarters. (1pm Eastern Time, Market Square)
For up-to-date information about events across the country visit: http://www.facebook.com/events/256490... or www.occupyhomesmn.org/
Video profile of the Cruz family story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_6Kz8...
High quality photos: http://peterleeman.tumblr.com/tagged/...
Alejandra Cruz's petition for her family: http://www.change.org/CruzHome
- 9:24 Wrongful CHASE Foreclosure, illegal Eviction Day; 276 Running Ridge, Ojai, CA,by MeridianHealth1Featured 15,213
- 5:20 Occupy Homes MN Successfully Defends Home from Eviction Twice in 48 Hoursby OccupyHomesMN 2,567 views
- 5:05 Greensboro Police Chase, Randleman Rdby Brandon Land 3,390 views
- 4:38 2012 Greensboro Police Department Rookie of Year.movby CityofGreensboroNC 835 views
- 1:32 CopWatchMinneapolis2- Post Pepper Sprayby jbelden15 414 views
- 5:12 Campus PD (Greensboro, NC)by Jo'von Boyd 1,074 views
- 6:48 Hip-Hop Artist Brother Ali Arrested At Evicted Minneapolis Family's Homeby UpTakeVideo 6,820 views
- 5:58 Two Arrests as Balloon Banner, Rooftop Occupation Kicks Off Nationwide Anti-Foreclosure Protestby OccupyHomesMN 476 views
- 1:08 CopWatchMinneapolis1by jbelden15 309 views
- 10:01 Uday Husseinby Shaw S 132,205 views
- 0:32 Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series - Virginia Motor Speedway April 13th & 14th Commercialby lucasoiltv 1,861 views
- 5:28 60 Minutes: Foreclosuresby TeeMua M'sali 1,968 views
- 4:44 NH: Free Stater refuses to show ID (New Hampshire, liberty)by RidleyReport 136,648 views
- 11:56 Foreclosure and Eviction by FRAUD, FORGERY AND THEFT by GMAC and Unscrupulous Investorsby GoodToMyself1 1,331 views
- 4:40 AMAZING! Homeless Family Occupies Foreclosed Home in Brooklyn (Inside Story)by Yes Lab Media 37,453 views
- 11:42 Police on lake streetby James McHenry 758 views
- 1:24 Save Rose McGee's Home!by OccupyHomesMN 1,101 views
- 2:10 Bank of America Week of Action for the "Minnesota 5"by OccupyHomesMN 637 views
- 1:56 Электрошокер Скорпион против собакиby SuperElectroshok 104,645 views
- 2:29 DNA arrested on City Hall Steps, Minneapolis - 12.1.11by roguemediaChannel 438 views
- Loading more suggestions...