The Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit, or TALOS, is an advanced infantry uniform that promises to provide superhuman strength with greater ballistic protection. Using wide-area networking and on-board computers, operators will have more situational awareness of the action around them and of their own bodies.
The U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, known as RDECOM, is submitting TALOS proposals in response to the May 15 2013 request.
"There is no one industry that can build it," said SOCOM Senior Enlisted Advisor Command Sgt. Maj. Chris Faris during a panel discussion at a conference at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., recently, reported Defense Media Network.
"The requirement is a comprehensive family of systems in a combat armor suit where we bring together an exoskeleton with innovative armor, displays for power monitoring, health monitoring, and integrating a weapon into that -- a whole bunch of stuff that RDECOM is playing heavily in," said. Lt. Col. Karl Borjes, an RDECOM science advisor assigned to SOCOM.
TALOS will have a physiological subsystem that lies against the skin that is embedded with sensors to monitor core body temperature, skin temperature, heart rate, body position and hydration levels.
Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are currently developing armor made from magnetorheological fluids -- liquid body armor -- that transforms from liquid to solid in milliseconds when a magnetic field or electrical current is applied. Though still in development, this technology will likely be submitted to support TALOS.
"RDECOM cuts across every aspect making up this combat armor suit," Borjes said "It's advanced armor. It's communications, antennas. It's cognitive performance. It's sensors, miniature-type circuits. That's all going to fit in here, too."
SOCOM demonstrations will take place July 8-10 2013, at or near MacDill Air Force Base.
The request asks participants to submit a white paper summary of their technology by May 31 2013, describing how TALOS can be constructed using current and emerging technologies. A limited number of participant white papers will be selected and those selected will demonstrate their technologies.
The initial demonstration goal is to identify technologies that could be integrated into an initial capability within a year. A second goal is to determine if fielding the TALOS within three years is feasible.
U.S. Army science advisors, such as Borjes, are embedded with major units around the world to speed technology solutions to Soldiers' needs. The Field Assistance in Science and Technology program's 30 science advisors, both uniformed officers and Army civilians, provide a link between Soldiers and the RDECOM's thousands of subject matter experts.
The U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command has the mission to develop technology and engineering solutions for America's Soldiers.
RDECOM is a major subordinate command of the U.S. Army Materiel Command. AMC is the Army's premier provider of materiel readiness -- technology, acquisition support, materiel development, logistics power projection, and sustainment -- to the total force, across the spectrum of joint military operations. If a Soldier shoots it, drives it, flies it, wears it, eats it or communicates with it, AMC provides it.
- TV Zvezda - Su-35S Flanker-E Stealth Fighter Flight Demo At Le Bourget 2013 [480p]
- Lockheed Martin Skunk Works® - Past, Present & Future Innovations : 6th Gen Stealth Fighter [1080p]
- HyperStealth Biotechnology - Quantum Stealth Invisibility Cloak Pics [1080p]
- Saab - Products Presentation : Breaking The Thought Barrier [1080p]
- Lockheed Martin - F-35A Stealth Fighter First AIM-120 AMRAAM Launch Test [720p]
- Eurocopter - X3 Hybrid Helicopter Attained Speed Milestone Of 255 Knots (472 km/h) [720p]
- Sukhoi - T-50-1 Pak Fa Stealth Fighter Flight Tests On Feb 2012 [480p]
- TV Zvezda - MiG-29KUB Fulcrum-D Naval Fighter [1080p]
- Second Sight - Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System Bionic Eyes Simulation [480p]
- BAE Systems - Terrier® Armoured Combat Engineer Vehicle [1080p]
- Saab - Skeldar V-200 UAS Successfully Completed Flight Test Milestones [720p]
- US Army RDECOM - Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS) Combat Simulation [720p]
View all100+ items
- Raytheon - Phalanx Close-In Weapon System (CIWS) & SeaRAM Anti-Ship Missile Defense System [480p]
- Sukhoi - T-50 Pak Fa Stealth Fighter 2nd Prototype First Flight [480p]
- DCNS - FREMM Multi-Mission Stealth Frigate Aquitaine Walk-Through Simulation
- BAE Systems - Alligator 6x6 Armoured Patrol Vehicle [480p]
- Sikorsky - S-70 Battlehawk Helicopter [480p]
- BAE Systems - RG35 4X4 Reconnaissance Patrol Utility (RPU) Vehicle [480p]
- China's Secret H-9 Stealth Bomber Leaked Photos [1080p]
- Israel Tank Program Management - Merkava Mk 4 Main Battle Tank [480p]
- General Dynamics - Independence Littoral Combat Ship 2 (LCS 2) [480p]
- Lockheed Martin - Human Universal Load Carrier (HULC) [480p]
- Raytheon Sarcos - 2nd Generation Exoskeleton Suit (XOS 2) [480p]
- China's New Mobile Air Defence Gun Pics [1080p]
View all100+ items