Check out a few simple tricks to get your colleagues, friends and family members to use Google Apps like you do.
In this... costumed episode of The Apps Show, Debbie and John will ... make you laugh and address a teething matter: how to get others to use Google Docs, Sheets, Slides etc, so your own work life is made easier. This is a bit like bringing more cool people to your party.
We are sharing tips to bring in total newbies, folks who have some cloud collaboration experience and for advanced geeks. Yes, every one should join your cloud party.
Ah yes, it is Halloween and here at Google we cannot resist an opportunity to have fun, so enjoy the show :) Trick or treat?
In the news this week
- You can now use spell check on Sheets. Go to Tools and choose Spelling
- G+ now offers the ability to create Polls
Get your co-workers and friends to use Google Apps
For beginners, who have never opened a Google Doc before.
Here are our tips:
- Tell them that... no, there is no need to download to their hard drive. Surprise :)
- Use Google Sheets to create car-pooling groups or lists of emergency contacts. Every one involved will have to open up the Sheet and tip their toes in these waters.
- Share a Doc or a Slide as a virtual card for someone's birthday. This is an easy way to demonstrate the value of online collaboration in the cloud. This is even more secure and practical than a physical card.
- The best is to involve them in something really business critical, like "+'ing" them in a comment in a Doc and asking them to resolve it when they are done.
For folks who know how Google Docs work but still cling to their old ways.
Here are our tips to convince them to take the jump:
- Show them a very unique and essential feature: Inforange, Mobile editing, Hangouts video calls, survey through Forms, /Ponies...
- Short of being there in person to show them om their screen, Include in a email quick instructions or a screenshot of the feature you want them to use. Example Suggested Edits.
What about the experts, those who can already do magic our of Macros: try the Apps Scripts.
Some of our tips:
- Lots of pre-built Apps Scripts on the Google Developers Site
- Examples to automate the creation of new pre-populated docs or sending sessions invitations for people registering for your conference can be found at scripts.google.com
- You can do at least as much and even more than what you used to do with Macros.
If you are successful getting people to sign up for Google for Work, you can even get some cash! Yay!
Now we know that many of you are helping others to get up to speed with Google Apps. We are looking forward to knowing more about your successful tips in the comments below.
Next Wednesday we will talk about Content sharing, because sharing is caring ;)
Don't forget to subscribe to The Apps Show.