The man-of-war comprises four separate polyps. It gets its name from the uppermost polyp, a gas-filled bladder, or pneumatophore, which sits above the water and somewhat resembles an old warship at full sail. Man-of-wars are also known as bluebottles for the purple-blue color of their pneumatophores.
The tentacles are the man-of-war's second organism. These long, thin tendrils can extend 165 feet (50 meters) in length below the surface, although 30 feet (10 meters) is more the average. They are covered in venom-filled nematocysts used to paralyze and kill fish and other small creatures.
More Info: http://animals.nationalgeog...
Follow us on Google+, Twitter, DailyBooth, and Facebook.
✔ Google+ http://gplus.to/2Humans1Dog...
✔ Twitter: http://twitter.com/2Humans1...
✔ DailyBooth: http://dailybooth.com/2Huma...
✔ Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/2Hu...
Thanks to Kevin MacLeod for the royalty free music http://www.incompetech.com/...
Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0" http://creativecommons.org/...
Tags: jellyfish ocean fish jelly "man of war" "Portuguese Man-of-War" "man o war" marine life beach florida sunny day water bird birds "water bird" crab shells sand Waves palm Trees
- Nature's Image - Storm Clouds
- Nature's Image - Massive Honey Bee Swarm
- Solar Powered Home: Painting The House
- Cat Helps with Painting - Time Lapse
- Solar Powered Home: Siding
- UFO Documentary: Contact Has Begun
- Solar Powered House: Building Inspection
- Nature's Image - Rescuing Another Hummingbird
- Solar Powered House: Plumbing
- Nature's Image - Rescuing a Trapped Hummingbird
- Solar Powered House: Progress Update
- Cat Climbing A Ladder
View all100+ items
- Crazy Eggs!
- Annoying Orange Parody: Lettuce Killer!
- Halloween Pumpkin Chainsaw Massacre
- Colored Easter Eggs
- Making Out Turns Deadly For Annoying Carrots
- Berries Can't Sing!
- Girls Push Stuck Car!
- Nature's Image - Portuguese Man-of-War
- Look At Our New House
- Valentine's Day Bear
- Giant Spider
View all100+ items